Sexual Assault Advocate/Counselor Training
Instructors: Linda Ledray & Shara Moscinski
This training is intended primarily for sexual assault advocates, counselors, volunteers, or staff at rape crisis centers. However, nurses, including sexual assault nurse examiners (SANEs), physicians, law enforcement officers, and mental health practitioners who assist sexual assault victims may also benefit from this training. With a focus on crisis intervention rather than long-term counseling, this training helps you deepen your understanding of the problem of sexual assault and the major roles of an advocate/counselor. Through case studies, role-playing, and other interactive exercises, participants will gain real-world skills to assist sexual assault victims effectively and sensitively. Participants will:
- Examine the physical and emotional impact of sexual assault.
- Learn how to respond to a crisis call reporting recent sexual assault.
- Develop a "toolkit" of crisis intervention techniques to support recovery from sexual assault.
- Learn to identify possible cases of drug-facilitated sexual assault.
- Formulate a personalized self-care plan to prevent burnout.