Compassion Fatigue/Vicarious Trauma
Instructors: Janice Harris Lord & Angie McCown
This training provides an overview of the definitions and symptoms of Compassion Fatigue, Burnout, Vicarious Trauma, and Secondary Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The training will include an interactive exploration of self-care techniques, strategies for recognizing symptoms of Compassion Fatigue, and strategies managers can use to ensure balance and self-care for those that they supervise. Anyone working in the field of victim services, or anyone working with victims of crime in related fields could benefit from this training. Through case studies, role-playing, and other interactive exercises, you will gain the knowledge and skills to lessen the impact of Compassion Fatigue while enhancing your professional and personal well-being. Participants will:
- Identify sources of stress and trauma.
- Examine the physical, cognitive, emotional and spiritual impact of stress and trauma.
- Explain how to recognize and understand the symptoms of compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma.
- Review how to develop healthy coping skills and build resilience.
- Develop a professional and personal care plan to minimize the risk of compassion fatigue.