Political Research Associates is a social justice think tank that tracks and analyzes right-wing groups and campaigns. Our strategic, timely work is used by organizers and advocates, journalists, academics, and policy makers to inform their work and advance social justice. PRA’s work makes critical contributions to allies working on such issues as immigrant and racial justice, LGBTQ rights, reproductive justice, economic justice, and civil liberties. We collaborate with visionary social justice leaders, and publicly confront our collective opponents with hard-hitting investigations and communications campaigns.
PRA produces a quarterly magazine, The Public Eye, and investigative reports on topics including the U.S. Christian Right exporting antigay ideology to Africa, the campaign to undermine marriage equality and healthcare reform by redefining “religious liberty,” and defending reproductive justice against right-wing assaults.
We are seeking a Communications Director who will promote our research, analysis, and experts to a variety of core constituencies/audiences in the service of advancing social justice. In this role, the Communications Director works closely with the research and program staff and with the Executive Director on program planning. The Communications Director is also involved with defining and presenting organizational identity and contributing to fund development operations. The position reports to the Executive Director.
The Communications Director’s key responsibilities include:
- Conducting a communications review and spearheading a strategic planning initiative to increase PRA’s profile and support development;
- Developing media strategies for major releases/events in cooperation with key program staff;
- Seeking opportunities for interviews, oped placement, and cross-publication;
- Writing and/or editing press releases, opeds, and blog posts;
- Managing digital communications, including e-blasts, social media, and the website;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with journalists, bloggers, and communications departments of ally organizations;
- Tracking and analyzing web traffic, media hits, and other indicators of PRA’s reach;
- Identifying important conferences and managing PRA’s presence;
- Contracting and overseeing PR consultants and managing communications interns;
- Collaborating with fund development team regarding intersection of communications and fundraising programs;
- Producing PRAccess donor newsletter, contributing to appeal and grant-writing, and assisting development associate with online fundraising.