National Youth Violence Prevention Week
The goal of this campaign is to raise awareness and to educate students, teachers, school administrators, counselors, school resource officers, school staff, parents, and the public on effective ways to prevent or reduce youth violence.
During this weeklong national education initiative, various activities will demonstrate the positive role young people can have in making their schools and communities safer.
With the support of several national premier youth-serving organizations, each day of the week will focus on a specific violence prevention strategy. These include promoting respect and tolerance, anger management, resolving conflicts peacefully, supporting safety, and uniting in action. Campaign “Strategy Sponsors”, including the Teaching Tolerance, American School Counselor Association, Association For Conflict Resolution, National Youth Court Center, and Youth Service America, will offer activities, information, and spokespersons to support each day’s focus.
The violence prevention week includes the following focus days for prevention strategies:
- Day 1: Promote Respect and Tolerance, Sponsored by Teaching Tolerance
- Day 2: Manage Your Anger, Sponsored by the American School Counselor Association
- Day 3: Resolve Conflicts Peacefully, Sponsored by the Association For Conflict Resolution
- Day 4: Support Safety, Sponsored by the National Youth Court Center
- Day 5: Unite in Action, Sponsored by Youth Service America